Monday, July 26, 2010

The Giant's Feast author's note

Many a moon has passed overhead since we last heard from our friends and their Giant and not so giant friends. I started out writing about this fine fellow, considering him something of a simple symbolic figure, I mean after all that's what giants are, right? I thought it would be a simple task to render a tail of Gigantic over-consumption and clever comeuppance. But you know something kind of strange happened as I wrote of our heroes exploits and adventures. I actually started to sort of like the guy and to feel a little sorry for him. The whole concept of an abandoned baby in the town- outgrowing his crib in a day- man it was hard to be hard on the guy and even harder to crash him in a fictional account. So then his true love has to show up- and believe me that was the last thing I was trying to write- a darned love story. Jeez you'd think I was regular author. I did not want for this story to linger in the romantic fluff realm, but I realize now that our hero is actually in love- and with a pretty lady giantess named Viola. And the dumbass young trio of drunken giants are on the loose in the valley, maybe heading towards our heroes hometown. And we have yet to meet the real Giant, owner of the house with the bell tower where we left off.  Well, I guess every story in life reveals itself layer by layer, and this story is going to get told whether I approve or not. So I'll keep telling it and we'll all see how it turns out.